Friday, September 11, 2009

August 22 2009

Another one of the teachers picked me up at noon as my temporary roommate was away for the weekend at the beach.  We met up with some others to check out the big city, Seoul.  I live South of the capital, in a suburb called Suji-Gu.  Gu means district, or so I’ve been told.   We hopped on the bus and took the hour long ride to Seoul station for about a buck and a half.  Nice deal.  A couple of subway stops away found us wandering the flea market.  The Seoul flea market contains some of the most useless, dated, well, crap that I have ever seen to this day.  But it was fun to see my new friends haggling in their impressive attempts to speak the local language.  Another trip on the subway and we were in Hongdae University area where I probably haven’t seen more people in one place before in my life.  Just getting out of the subway station.  China is probably worse.  Also internment camps.  The local party zone found me dining at a coveted Korean cuisine, Dos Tacos, where I ate attempts at Mexican burritos while reading the rest of the menu consisting of Coronas and other authentic Korean treasures.  I also checked out a popular tourist spot Insadong where I perused beautiful art pieces, watched as Italian tourist couples walked hand in hand adding to the melting pot of cultures in the city’s centre, and watched how some handmade jewelry was crated.  The rode the bus on the relatively quick ride home, crossing my fingers and holding my breath as the psycho driver squeezed his way through the other traffic.  I was returned safely to the Gu.  Jet lag anyone? Time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment