Friday, April 2, 2010

McDonald's Guy

One of the countless gems in Korea that has really made me appreciate this country for not only its impressive accomplishments, but also its quirks, is Korean McDonald’s. On any given day of the week, and at any time, the two-decker McDonald’s near my house manages to pack itself full of people hoping to what I can only imagine is find the worst type of food they can get their hands on. McDonald’s has too become a pretty popular meeting place for those who have spent their night drinking water. So even at 4 or 5, or even 7 – if you have really ruled out sleep for the weekend – you can find a full house at McDonald’s, often with at least one person at each table with their heads down after over-indulging.
McDonald’s breakfast here however is nonpareil, and has become a real treat for mornings that I can wake up early enough before work. This leads me to McDonald’s Guy. There’s an unusual character that “works” at the McDonald’s near my place. Whenever I am there for breakfast I always see him, and he’s usually doing something strange and different every time. One time he was walking up the stairs sweeping. It took him about 10 minutes. Then, he came down backwards about an eighth of a stair at a time doing the same job. Another time I saw him pick his nose, then went on to stare at what he found for what seemed like an eternity, before walking through a door that I hope led to once of those delousing chambers. In a country that seems obsessed with efficiency, McDonald’s Guy seems to be a black sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment